Sometimes in business, customers need their invoices to be presented in a specific format different from the regular project invoices. For example , customers may need all the billable transactions to be grouped separately (e.g., Item, Labor, Expenses etc.) and presented in the invoice.
Companies also sometimes wants to mention ad-hoc texts (Courtesy texts etc.) before and after the invoice document to be printed.
All of these additional formating(ad-hoc formatting) of project invoices can be can be done in AX 2012 at run time during invoice processing very easily without having the need to customize the reports and involve additional development costs.
In today’s post I will explain this functionality in AX 2012 and take you through the steps.
- Assume that the project and project contract are ready and we have some transactions already posted on them which are pending for invoicing. Say that the project 10001 in CONTOSO data has some hour, expense and item transactions to be invoiced.
- Let us start from the invoice processing for this project.
- Navigate to Project management and accounting > All Projects.
- Select project 10001 and click Manage tab > Bill > invoice processing. Refer to screen below.
- See the invoice processing screen that opens and shows all the available transactions for billing. I have selected few of then in the lower grid for billing Screen below.
- Now click the New Invoice proposal button. Verify that info log shows up and the invoice proposal screen opens up as shown in screen below.
- Click the Manage Invoice presentment button on the action pane.
- In the manage invoice screen, notice 4 sections Invoice line summary, Selected transactions, Available transactions and Invoice header and footer text.
- Create a new line under the invoice line summary section by clicking Add line button.
- Select Detail/Summary option, give a description ( this will appear on the invoice) and then keep focus on this line and select all the Hour transactions and click Include transactions button under the Available transactions section.
- See the screen below to view how it looks like after doing above steps. We are now done doing the invoice presentment.
- Lets click on the print preview button to analyze how the project invoice report will look different from the regular project invoice after presentment
- See the 2 screen shots below for the reports.
2 thoughts on “Manage Invoice Presentment during Invoice processing of projects in microsoft dynamics AX 2012”
Please explain, from where to POST INVOICE PROPOSAL in AX 2012. I can’t see any POST button on Screens. Any Idea??
Sorry for replying late to you.
Are you working on the DEMO data for AX 2012 ? If so please check your workflow if this has a Post step configured in it and also verify to whom this step in the workflow is assigned. You can see the Post button only when this is assigned to you.
However, you can post invoices through the Post invoice proposals periodic job. If the invoice proposal is approved, this will be seen in the post form.
Let me know if you need more help on this.